Quick update – new posts coming soon(ish)

Hi guys, been a while since I uploaded something of my own work. My laptop is still currently broken, so I can’t upload my B-spec car, but I can give some details about it. I’ve switched from the smooth nose to a stepped nose, similar to that of Lotus, but over the last couple of days I’ve also made a few decisions as the design of the rear of the car. Now I don’t know how easy it would be to do it this way, but I’m going to try my hardest. I’ve put Vortex Generators on the front of the sidepods, but they curve around to 57 degrees outboard at the rearmost tips. This forces the vortex generated to flow much wider than the sidepods. Tech heads might be able to see where this is going if they visualize the latest designs in their head (or view the TD view here –https://pptf1car.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/v6td.png).

The outboard mounted turning vanes that guide the airflow to stay tight to the rear bodywork have been split into three sections, with the middle part that sits level with the exhaust exits missing. A single part attaches to the floor of the car and keeps airflow tight to the lowest part of the sidepods, The exhausts are mounted as far forward, outboard as low and pointing as outboard as legally possible, with bodywork sculpted around it so that it drops down and hits the floor. The flickup on the floor is moved much further back so that it sits in the exhaust stream, and there is a vane that runs alongside the outer edge  to the gap between the diffuser and the wheel. The exhaust flow there is split into two directions, one travels alongside the outermost edge of the floor, and seals that part (legal holes and vanes on top of the floor, then pull the exhaust flow in around the innermost edge of the rear tyres as much as is physically possible) and is then re-connected with the other half of the exhaust gas flow at the diffuser side channels. The other half of the airflow just travels along the top of the floor towards the diffuser side channels. This means that an air ‘skirt’ is generated at the side of the car, which seals the underside and allows much more rake to be used when setting the car up. This in turn produces MUCH more rear downforce. The system is VERY complex, hence why I’ve decided to include it on a B-spec car. The system will be tested out when I get the opportunity to start building my paper version (inspiration from http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/) to find out at what speeds it’s most efficient, whether my preliminary designs work or not, and how much rake can be used. If my results show that the system is too speed dependent (only works at a specific speed) then I will abandon development of the system and go back to the McLaren spec that I originally was going to use on the B-spec launch.

The only part of the car that I can show you is the preliminary sketch of the new front wing, that was designed with DDRS in mind. One notable part of the front wing is the abnormally large, and unusually shaped endplates. It does use the ‘endplateless’ design, where the flaps angle downwards to meet the baseplate of the endplate, but the minimum surface area requirements mean that I’ve installed 2 vertical fences, one with the outer cascade element attached to them. The fences actually curve inward approximately 2/3rds of the distance and then curve sharply outwards. This increases the air pressure above the top of the wing relative to the pressure below the wing, producing  more downforce. It also means that a degree of flow seperation happens, with a vortex produced that is very strong and travels outwards. The slipstream of the wheel then draws this vortex back inwards where it runs alongside the floor of the car, meeting the vortex generated by the split turning vanes on the sidepods. That vortex also meets with the stronger and downward acting vortex from the VG on top of the sidepods. Essentially this means that we get a triple vortex that accelerates the airflow with the exhaust gasses, and strengthens the skirt of air. (This is all theoretical of course, I don’t know whether the design could work) Anyhow, before I go into a HUUUUUGE rant about technical details, I’ll show you the two front and top down views of the new front wing.

The next post that I post will be the final part of my 5-part technical series, and is all about the chassis.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s